British Freemasons have been in Germany for more than 50 years. Our first lodge, New Absalom Lodge was established as long ago as 30th March 1957 in Düsseldorf. This Lodge was consecrated as part of the United Grand Lodges of Germany but soon afterward “A Provincial Grand Lodge of British Freemasons in Germany” was founded. In 1980, the current Grand Lodge of British Freemasons in Germany (GLBFG) was created.
We are all proud to be German Masons and the GLBFG is part of the wider United Grand Lodges of Germany which has 4 other constituent Grand Lodges within it. Although we are German Masons, we are a truly International Grand Lodge and we have members from all four corners of the globe making up our ranks.
Currently, we have 17 Lodges within our Grand Lodge located all over Germany – from Hamburg in the North, Berlin in the East, Düsseldorf in the West and Munich in the South. Our main concentration of Lodges is North West Germany as a consequence of the British Forces presence in post-war Germany.
We are a small Grand Lodge within the world-wide freemasonry community and our coat of arms ties our Grand Lodge into this community .
The late Bro. Theodor Vogel, Past Grand Master of the United Grand Lodges of Germany, had this seal reproduced from the United Grand Lodge AF & AM. It comprises a square and compasses within a linked chain. This combined with the Seal of the Grand Land Lodge of the Freemasons Order comprising a Triangle and a Key bound thereto. The Triangle and Key together also symbolize the Trowel. The Chain is displayed in three sections each exposing three links and thus symbolizing the “Three times Three” common to German Freemasonry.
The EAGLE symbolizes Germany, the LION Great Britain. The THREE CASTLES are to remind us of the original Provincial Grand Lodge of British Freemasons in Germany. ESTO PERPETUA means “May it last forever”.